Footie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunners show grit to grab point

3 posters

Go down

Gunners show grit to grab point Empty Gunners show grit to grab point

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Robin van Persie had brilliantly put Arsenal ahead early on at the Emirates Stadium but Robbie Keane drew the visitors level before half-time with an equally impressive strike.

Liverpool took control of the game after half-time and must have sensed a victory when Emmanuel Adebayor was harshly sent off for a second yellow card just after the hour mark.

However, the flow was taken out of the game by a series of bookings by referee Howard Webb and there were few chances of a winner for the Reds or Gunners, who remain fifth.

The action started at lightning pace in north London and early half-chances were exchanged between Keane and Adebayor before van Persie scored a goal out of nothing to put Arsenal ahead in the 24th minute.

Samir Nasri lofted a ball forward from just inside his own half and van Persie, with seemingly little danger, brilliantly controlled the pass with his chest before turning two defenders and expertly firing right-footed into the corner.

The Gunners then began to take control of the game but Keane drew Liverpool level three minutes before half-time with another goal out of nothing.

This time it was a long ball from Alvaro Arbeloa that sailed over a flat home defence for Keane to run onto and hammer a superb half-volley past Manuel Almunia.

Cesc Fabregas hobbled off at the break after injuring his knee in a 50-50 challenge with Xabi Alonso, so Arsene Wenger introduced Abou Diaby to play in midfield.

Arsenal lost all rhythm without Fabregas, though, and Liverpool took control with Lucas forcing Almunia into action and Daniel Agger heading just wide from a corner.

Then, on 62 minutes, Webb infuriated the home supporters by showing Adebayor a second yellow card for a hefty challenge on Arbeloa that left the Reds defender clutching his face. The Togo striker waved an arm in Arbeloa's face, while his boot was also raised.

The booking seemed just about justifiable but, his first, for an earlier foul on Emiliano Insua was far more harsh and so Adebayor can count himself unlucky.

It was Arsenal, rather than Liverpool, that raised their game following the sending-off, though, as the visitors struggled to regain the tempo they had been playing with.

Webb's pencil was getting ever shorter as he handed out bookings at an alarming rate, with van Persie, Bacary Sagna, Jamie Carragher and Lucas all cautioned, but there were few goalscoring chances.

Liverpool did go close in the dying minutes, though, with Agger firing narrowly over from distance, substitute Nabil El Zhar glancing a header just wide from an Insua cross and Almunia saving bravely at the feet of Dirk Kuyt

Oliver
Admin

https://footie.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Gunners show grit to grab point Empty Re: Gunners show grit to grab point

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Arsenal will be pleased with themselves drawing 1-1 with Liverpool with only 10 players, good on them

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerMAD Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:29 pm

Hmm, what ive heard, it was quite a ruff game, but, in truth, Arsenal always play ruff, they are very physical

SoccerMAD
Free Player
Free Player

Back to top Go down

Post by _aimee_ Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:09 pm

yhh i watched it and there were lots of yellow cards, a red card for adebayor and cesc fabregas went off injured :S
but it was a good game and they were both good goals!
but a draw was a fair result!
x
_aimee_
_aimee_
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:03 am

At least it was a fair result, but I saw wat Arbeloa did, and that was disgusting, its was worse than Dida, FIFA should take away Adeabayors red card, and give it to Arbeloa

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:11 am

Adebayor blasts Arbeloa theatrics

The Togo frontman was shown a second yellow card by referee Howard Webb on the hour mark of the 1-1 draw after challenging for the ball with the Reds full-back, who fell to the ground dramatically clutching his face.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was incensed, but replays suggested Adebayor had indeed gone in with a raised boot, rather than a flaying arm, and as such probably merited a caution.

The Arsenal forward, though, defended his actions, insisting he was merely shielding the ball and called on referee Webb to acknowledge his "mistake".

"I hope when the referee goes home and watches it on the TV, he will see it was a foul, but I didn't deserve a card," Adebayor said. "It was a mistake from him.

"He said it was for the leg, but if I don't put my body in there I would never score a goal in this league.

"We have to protect the ball, which is normal and that's what I tried to do."

Adebayor - whose other caution came in the first half for leaving his foot in against Emiliano Insua - declared: "The defender threw himself on the floor as if I put a knife in him.

"Of course I'm annoyed. We are all here to play and if you win or lose you have to do it with 11.

"I cannot say he cheated, but what he did wasn't fair play at all."

Wenger was also less than impressed with the decision.

"It was very soft," he said.

"We had a 'Be a Gooner, Be a Giver' charity day today - and you could not say the referee was a Gooner.

"He was a giver because he gave us yellow cards we didn't deserve."

The Arsenal boss continued: "Every week when we play away from home people say teams get in our faces and we can't cope with it. Do you want me to show you our players when we play away?

"It is a joke. The first booking wasn't justified either. It is just unbelievable.

"If he sends Adebayor off, he has to sent [Robbie] Keane off in the first half. We have two different rules.

"It could have cost us two points today. I don't agree with the referee's decision at all. Ask Arbeloa, [Jamie] Carragher was next to them, they know Adebayor didn't touch him."

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 am

I did think Arbeloa did over react abit, but, Adebayor did hit him, and had his studs in, it did deserve a red card, but Arbeloa shouldnt have over reacted

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerMAD Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:33 am

Oliver has a point there, it was worth a yellow, or even a red. But, Arbeloa, absolutely terrible.

SoccerMAD
Free Player
Free Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:31 am

I made my point

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down