Footie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FA hints at Capello extension

Go down

FA hints at Capello extension Empty FA hints at Capello extension

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:49 am

The Italian has been in the job for a year now and has revived a squad which failed to reach the 2008 European Championships.

England are top of their World Cup qualifying group following a 100% record of four successive wins, which included a superb 4-1 victory in Croatia.

Capello, 62, signed a lucrative four-and-a-half-year deal which would take him through to the campaign to reach Euro 2012, although the contract does include an opt-out after South Africa next summer.

Triesman, though, sees no reason why the former AC Milan and Real Madrid boss would not want to "stay around" as long as possible.

"Fabio is very clear and specific about what he needs. What I sense is a very profound level of respect for the way he works and a desire to work alongside him," Lord Triesman told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme.

"I think it would be great if he stayed beyond the next World Cup.

"We look as though we are on our way to the World Cup - and if we get there, I think we have got a side which is absolutely brimming with confidence.

"There is no reason why we could not do very well - and looking at the way Fabio has moved us on in this period, if I project it into the future of course I would like him around. Who wouldn't?"

Triesman, a successful Labour politician, became the first independent chairman of the Football Association in January and has helped oversee the introduction of the 'Respect' campaign towards officials.

While there is still some work to go, he believes things are moving in the right direction.

"I am convinced on the discipline and the respect issues, that we were at a tipping point - it could have gone very badly wrong," he added.

"We saw all of the signs that if it was not arrested at that time it would go badly wrong.

"Although there is a good deal still to do, I believe we have turned that corner and are going in the right direction now.

"There are very many fewer incidents of players just bad-mouthing the officials, and there is a lot less mobbing of the officials. You hardly ever see that now.

"What you used to get was if you had some really bad behaviour in a professional game on the television, then on the Sunday morning you would watch it be re-enacted in a park game.

"However, the referees say there are seeing a lot less of that - so the 'wash over' from one to another is showing an improvement as well.

"There are, without question, occasions when the managers still feel it is all right to be very abrasive towards the officials - and they need to stop doing that.

"Among the players, there is a genuine improvement in the Premier League. I think it would be great if the managers could take it a bit more to heart as well."

Oliver
Admin

https://footie.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

FA hints at Capello extension Empty Re: FA hints at Capello extension

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:50 am

Before England give him a extension, see how he does in the World Cup, because if he does really badly, they will have to pay him alot to fire him, but I have my faith in him, and I think England will do well with him in charge

Oliver
Admin

https://footie.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum