Footie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!"

2 posters

Go down

Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!" Empty Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!"

Post by Oliver Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:16 pm

David Beckham has revealed that he has missed playing football "at the highest level" after being presented as an AC Milan player ahead of a three-month loan deal from the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Beckham, 33, has negotiated a move to the Serie A giants in a bid to remain match fit and stay in the thoughts of England manager Fabio Capello.

His move to LA Galaxy from Real Madrid last year was perceived at the time as a step backwards to a league that has still to establish itself as big-hitter on the world stage, and the former England captain admitted that a move to Milan represented a move back into the mainstream.

"Moving to America was a big step for me because there was a lot of people who were criticising the move, but I sill believe it was a move where I wanted to challenge myself and I was able to challenge myself in different ways," Beckham told a press conference in Milan.

"But I have always said that I would always miss playing at the highest level. I'm not saying that in America they won't get to the highest level - it will take time and it will happen. But with five months off during the season I personally can't do that.

"I needed to be able to be playing top-flight football to keep myself fit, to keep myself in contention for other things that are going on."

Beckham, who began the press conference by addressing the assembled media with a few words in Italian, will be in the stands to watch his new team take on Udinese on Sunday evening.

He will then join them at a training camp in Dubai and could make his debut when the Serie A season resumes with a trip to Roma on January 11.

The former Manchester United midfielder added: "I'm really happy to be here, it is a great honour. I hope to add to the team, I hope to give everything that I've always given in my career and it's a huge honour.

"To be able to have the chance to play for another one of the biggest clubs in the world...I've played for the biggest club in England, the biggest club in Spain and now I'm going to be playing for the biggest club in Italy.

"I've been very lucky in my career to have done that, and I'm just going to enjoy it because I think to be given this opportunity is incredible."

Beckham added he was delighted to join what is already a glittering array of talent in the Milan dressing room, and he insists he does expect not to be an automatic inclusion in coach Carlo Ancelotti's line-up.

He said: "I wouldn't have taken this opportunity if I didn't think I could help the team. It's not about anything else apart from the football. I've come here to play with some of the best players in the world.

"To be able to step on to the training field with Kaka, [Andrea] Pirlo, [Paolo] Maldini, Ronaldinho...there's so many players that I've always watched and played against but never played with.

"There's some great players out there and I don't expect to walk in on the first day and be starting in the team, it doesn't happen like that. I'm going work hard in training, I'm going to get my fitness - because I need to - and then once I'm fit, hopefully I can get some time in the team, and hopefully help.

"I know there's quite a few injuries at the moment," he added, referring to a lengthy injury list that includes the likes of Kaka, Gennaro Gattuso, Pirlo and Mathieu Flamini .

Beckham knows he faces a stern test in the Italian league but insists he is relishing the challenge.

"Its going to be very tough," he continued. "It's a loan spell so it's not like I'm going to be here for a few years. It's all about me coming in and getting on with it, fitting in and being one of the lads.

"I've always been a team player and that's what i intend to do at AC Milan."

Beckham, who will wear the number 32 shirt, is also relishing the chance to line-up with 40-year-old defender Maldini.

"What is great about AC Milan is the history of the club, that's what makes great clubs," he continued. "Who better to represent the club than Maldini?

"He's still playing at top level. That just shows the club's amazing structure, amazing beliefs in players whether they're young or old. As long as they're talented it doesn't matter.

"I've played against him and know how good he is. Now to play with him, well it's a huge honour.

"I love the history behind great teams, I've said it before. I loved playing for Manchester United. They will always be the team that gave me my start, gave me the chance to win so many trophies.

"I fell in love with Real Madrid too and now that I've seen AC Milan, I'm already falling in love.

"It's going to be hard to leave but I'm going to have a great time here I hope."

Beckham's loan deal will end on March 9, with his last game set to be a match against Atalanta the previous day.

Earlier Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani reiterated that Beckham will definitely be returning to America in March but revealed the two parties could reunite in the future.

"David Beckham will remain at Milan until March 9," Galliani told Milan Channel.

"The last game is Milan-Atalanta, scheduled for March 8.

"We hope that Beckham leaves an indelible mark, so that next year we can repeat the experience, maybe for longer."

However, he added: "There are contracts, an infinite series of legal writing...taking Beckham on loan has been a very difficult operation, seeing as the player's registration is with Major League Soccer."

Oliver
Admin

https://footie.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!" Empty Re: Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!"

Post by Oliver Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:17 pm

He knew that Football in the USA wasnt as challenging, but he knows he has a lot of things to prove for Capello. But, AC Milan will make loads of money because they will all want a Beckham Milan shirt. WHo will he get his wages from, LA, or AC. I wonder, he dont care as long as he gets it, lol

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!" Empty Re: Beckham: "I still want a Challenge!"

Post by SoccerMAD Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:32 pm

I hope he does well, and gets chosen in the england team, he deserves it. Good luck to you Becks

SoccerMAD
Free Player
Free Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:14 pm

I agree, he does deserve it, but he needs to show it

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:46 am

Beckham sets sights on milestone

Beckham has moved to the San Siro on a three-month loan deal from the Los Angeles Galaxy and was officially unveiled as a Milan player on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old equalled Sir Bobby Charlton's 107 caps for England in a World Cup qualifier against Belarus in October and is just one appearance off Moore's record.

And the former England captain would love nothing more than to achieve that goal.

"I know how (England coach) Fabio Capello works," said Beckham. "If you're good enough and working hard enough, you'll be in the team no matter where you are or where you're playing.

"You should not be given England caps lightly, they're very precious. People have questioned that in the last few games I've played in which is quite unbelievable considering I'm on 107 caps.

"To be up there with Bobby Moore, Charlton and Billy Wright is an incredible thing. If I end up equalling the record, I'd be even more honoured but at the moment I take each game as it comes.

"I love playing football and everyone knows how much it means to me to play for my country. If I equal the record it would be amazing, but I'm happy to be up there."

Beckham acknowledged, however, his chances of making a fourth World Cup finals appearance in 2010 are slim, but believes there are enough decent young English players out there to leave the national team in a healthy position without him.

"I think when World Cups get mentioned, any player wants to play," he continued.

"But realistically I'm not the youngest in the squad anymore. I may have great experience of World Cups and big games, but we've got young players coming through.

"It's great for our country we have so many right-sided players, forwards, and I hope we continue playing the way we have been playing recently.

"Being on 107 caps...well you know how much it means to me, I hope it continues and will do everything possible to make it continue.

"After Milan I'll be going back to LA, working hard and keeping myself fit, and hopefully still playing for my country, and that's all I can do to keep involved."

Beckham has made the move to Milan in a bid to remain match fit and hopefully stay in Capello's thoughts.

While the former Manchester United player claims that is not the sole reason, he admits he fears his England career could be over if he fails to break into the Rossoneri side.

"If any player is not in the team or at his top level then to play at international level is virtually impossible," said Beckham.

"What's great about Capello as a manager is that wherever you're playing in the world, if you're fit and playing well he'll give you a chance.

"So I have to be playing and I have to be playing well.

"It's great Capello's given me the chance to play for England again. To be brought back into the England squad...everyone knows how much that means to me, and whether it's for five, 10 or 90 minutes, I'll always be there for my country.

"That is not the sole reason I'm here though. I'm going to enjoy playing here at AC Milan. I came here because I wanted experience of playing in Italy and to keep fit so when I go back to LA I'll be in good condition.

"Of course I want to stay fit to be in contention but it's not the only thing I'm here for."

Beckham also revealed he sought out Capello for advice before embarking on a loan move to Milan.

"Fabio Capello is a person I respect a great deal so when I decided to go on loan of course I asked his advice," added Beckham.

"He didn't tell me any club in particular. I said I wanted to play in Italy and hopefully wanted to play for Milan, that if given the opportunity I would take that.

"He said the best thing was to play football at the highest level, wherever that is. If it had been Italy, England or Spain, it would be great for me.

"It was great to have someone like that to go and talk to and get some advice from."

Beckham will join up with his new team-mates on December 29 when they fly out to Dubai for a winter training camp.

His first competitive fixture could be against Roma on January 11 and he cannot wait to make his Serie A debut.

"I would have played (tonight) if I could, but unfortunately that is not possible," he said.

"When we agreed the loan, I looked at the fixtures. The first one, Roma, and then I looked to see if there is a derby in there, and there was.

"I am looking forward to that one. I know the atmosphere in derbies is incredible. I have been lucky to play in the Manchester derby which, thankfully, the majority of times we won.

"To play Inter, who have got an incredible coach (Jose Mourinho), is something I am really looking forward to and I hope we win that one too."

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:48 am

I dont think he will be able to have the most caps, but he has a good chance of equalling Moores recond. I hope he does, but, he will need to prove he is worth it!

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:40 am

Beckham set for UEFA Cup snub

With the England midfielder having joined the Serie A giants this weekend on a three-month loan deal from Los Angeles Galaxy, the club have been considering whether or not to play Beckham in Europe.

"Beckham is in good physical condition," said Galliani.

"He will be here with us for nine Serie A games and will also play some friendlies.

"We will then consider whether to include him or not in our UEFA Cup squad because eventually he would only be able to play up to the first and second leg of the last 16 of the competition.

"We will make this decision by the end of January."

Beckham, who is set to return to the United States at the end of March to prepare for the start of the Major League Soccer, would therefore be missing from the quarter-final stages onwards, provided Milan reach that far in the competition.

Milan were paired with Werder Bremen in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup at last Friday's draw.

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:41 am

Well, I can understand that, he is only going to play 2 games, and im sure they would want a player that they know will be in the full competition with them. I totally agree with that decision

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down