Footie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouthwatering CL ties

3 posters

Go down

Mouthwatering CL ties Empty Mouthwatering CL ties

Post by Oliver Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:51 am

The draw pits Sir Alex Ferguson's European champions against Jose Mourinho's Italian giants, while Liverpool will take on nine-times winners Real, a club repeatedly linked with Anfield boss Rafael Benitez.

Chelsea also face an intriguing reunion with former manager Claudio Ranieri after being paired with Juventus, while Arsenal take on Roma.

The English clubs all avoided favourites Barcelona, who face French champions Lyon. Elsewhere in the draw, Villarreal face Panathinaikos; Sporting Lisbon tackle Bayern Munich, and Atletico Madrid play Porto.

Mourinho famously enjoyed success against United as Porto boss in 2004 and then went on to develop a fierce rivalry with Ferguson, after moving to Chelsea.

He left Stamford Bridge last year and has this season overseen Inter's rise to the top of Serie A.

"It's a very exciting draw," United's communications director Phil Townsend told Sky Sports News. "We've only met Inter once before in the Champions League and we got through then; maybe it's a good omen, because it was in 1999 and we ended up winning the tournament.

"We'll be trying to put one over on Jose this time and get the result the fans want and the club wants."

It is a draw Inter are also relishing.

"Mourinho told me yesterday that he wanted Manchester United, and I think he's right," Inter director Ernesto Paolillo. "Against Manchester United, we can find the right motivation and the right concentration to play a very good game.

"Mourinho is experienced in English football, and he knows United very well."

There was a possibility that United could have drawn Real, which would have made for an intriguing tie in the light of tensions between the two clubs over Cristiano Ronaldo.

Instead, 2005 winners Liverpool were drawn against the Spaniards - a meeting which will still generate plenty of interest thanks to Reds boss Rafael Benitez's past associations with the nine-time champions.

Benitez, who was on Real's books as a youngster, has previously coached the club's B team and has been repeatedly linked with a return to the Bernabeu.

"It couldn't be any bigger," said Liverpool secretary Bryce Morrison.

"I'm really relishing it and I'm sure the supporters will be as well. It's an absolutely mouth-watering tie.

"Obviously we are top of the Premier League at the moment and have done well in the group stage. That hasn't had had an effect on the side, and we are confident that that can continue for the rest of the season."

Liverpool famously beat Real 1-0 to win the third of their five European titles in 1981, but the clubs have not met competitively since. Liverpool have, however, already played in the Spanish capital this season - against Atletico in the group stages.

Ranieri's return to Stamford Bridge will also be much anticipated. The Italian guided Chelsea to the Champions League semi-finals in 2004, before making way for Mourinho later that year.

Chelsea secretary David Barnard said: "It obviously brings back Claudio Ranieri to the Bridge, and I am sure Claudio will get a good reception from the Chelsea supporters.

"In Claudio's last season we actually reached the semi-finals, and the Champions League means a lot to him and Chelsea."

Juve sporting director Alessio Secco said: "Since Claudio Ranieri left Chelsea, many players have changed. But many of them are still playing for Chelsea, so he knows them better than everybody else.

"I think that for him it will be a special game, for sure."

Arsenal appeared to receive the kindest draw, and director Danny Fiszman hopes being paired with Roma will be the first of two trips to the Italian capital - with the final also due to be held in the Eternal City.

Fiszman said: "We have a good record against Roma; we are pleased with the draw.

"I think it is the old cliche - there isn't an easy game - but it is an exciting draw, exciting for the fans.

"Our fans will have the chance to go to Rome - and we hope we will do it twice."

Champions League last-16 draw:

Chelsea v Juventus

Villarreal v Panathinaikos

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v Roma

Inter Milan v Manchester United

Ties to be played on February 24/25 (first leg) and March 10/11 (second leg).

Oliver
Admin

https://footie.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Mouthwatering CL ties Empty Re: Mouthwatering CL ties

Post by _aimee_ Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:52 am

opps lol. ive just posted this at exactly the same time :S
sorry!
xx
_aimee_
_aimee_
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:53 am

That has got to be one of the best ties I have seen in the CL, its a test for all the teams, but the one tht im looking forward to is Chelsea vs Juve, and Inter vs Man UTD
This part of the CL is the hardest by looking at it

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59 am

Capello Bemoans "Diabolical" Draw
Three of the eight last-16 ties will be Anglo-Italian affairs, with holders Manchester United facing Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan, Chelsea coming up against former boss Claudio Ranieri's Juventus, and Arsenal playing Roma.

The mouth-watering draw means many of the favourites for the Champions League crown will crash out even before the quarter-final stage, and Capello believes it is impossible to predict who will prevail and who will founder.

"The Champions League draw has been diabolical," Capello told Italian media. "I didn't expect the three Italians teams to be drawn with English teams.

"But they are games that will bring numerous suggestions and impossible predictions.

"It will be difficult for Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United but it will be equally difficult for Roma, Juve and Inter."

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:00 am

Thats right what he said, none of the English or Italian teams have it easy, I CANT WAIT lol!

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 am

Mourinho relishing United clash
Mourinho famously led Porto to an upset of United and on to the European title in 2004 before being appointed coach of Chelsea, and he is looking forward to another confrontation with the Red Devils in the last 16.

"Yes, my wish has been granted," said Mourinho.

"I want to face the best and Manchester is a team of champions with a super coach like Alex (Ferguson). We will have lots of motivation for this tie."

The Nerazzurri progressed to the last 16 as second in Group B, behind winners Panathinaikos.

Inter struggled to make an impact in Europe, collecting just two wins while losing twice in six group games.

However, Mourinho, whose side lead the Serie A standings with a six-point advantage over Juventus, believes the true Inter will emerge in the new year.

"I am certain that by the end of February we will see the real Inter," he said.

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:50 am

No wonder they dont like eachover, there probably sick of eachover and they may be in a different country but they still play against eachover. Maybe its love, lol

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerMAD Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Its true what the title says, they are some juicy games, lol
And, lol to Oliver, they Love eachover in the hate

SoccerMAD
Free Player
Free Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Lol, you really are SoccerMad, really mad, lol
And its true, they hate eachover soo much they love eachover, cos they give eachover soooooooo much attention

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _aimee_ Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:17 am

going to be some good matches there! i cant wait for february!
x
_aimee_
_aimee_
Asst Admin
Asst Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:35 am

I will be glued to my tv watching these games, this round might create some upsets in the football world tho, as many of the big clubs will be going out sooner than they expected

Oliver
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerMAD Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:33 pm

true, by the next round, there could just be 1 huge team, lol

SoccerMAD
Free Player
Free Player

Back to top Go down